RAISE AWARENESS - IDEAS FOR WORKERS' MEMORIAL WEEK EVENTS
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
We invite you to organize an event to commemorate fallen workers and promote healthy and safe workplaces.
- We will update our event page when plans start getting finalized.
- Got an event planned? Let us know!
NEED IDEAS FOR AN EVENT? HERE ARE SOME TO GET YOU STARTED…
Large or small, events raise public awareness that workplace injuries, illness and fatalities are NOT accidents - they are senseless, preventable tragedies. We encourage everyone who cares about worker safety and health to participate however they can.
In-person event ideas:
- Make a Workers' Memorial Week banner, and hold/hang it where it can be widely seen;
- Display posters with the faces and/or names of workers who died from work-related injuries/illnesses or injured/sick workers;
- Prepare an altar dedicated to workers killed at work;
- Die-in at a park or other outdoor open area;
- Installation with caskets / boots / scrubs / flowers or other representing lives lost or injuries / illnesses related to work;
- Caravan for workers’ lives
Digital local event ideas:
- Hold a training, teach-in, or discussion group about worker injuries and illnesses and how preventable these are.
- Organize a delegation to meet with elected officials to get their support for health and safety legislation.
- Get a proclamation passed in the City, County or governmental agency.
- Local unions and central labor councils can also pass resolutions and proclamations to recognize Workers’ Memorial Week.
- Get faith leaders to include messaging about workplace safety as part of services and worship during Workers’ Memorial Week.
- Reach out to family members who lost loved ones; include their stories in public education programs
- Hold a memorial breakfast, rally, or candlelight vigil to honor the dead and fight for the living
- Publish and announce names of workers injured or killed on the job at public hearing (e.g. city council)
- Connect to regional or national programs to participate and share activities and build momentum
- Mobilize your members/networks to share their stories on social media